Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blog Assignment 8

Richard Miller: This is how we dream parts 1 and 2

Part 1



Part 2


This video may have been easier for me to watch if it had shown the speaker at least part of the time. It is hard for me to pay attention to things like slideshows when the narorrator isn't seen for atleast part of the time.

I thought it was really cool that Richard Miller did work based on the Virginia Tech shooting and researched/ published works on campus violence. I also really liked the preview of his Martin Luther King Jr. interactive lecture. I plan on looking into it when I am through with this blog. I agree that interactive lectures are better than those which are not. I like looking stuff up and being able to read, listen, look, and watch things on the subject that are all in one place.

I also agreed with his point that all educators need to understand and embrace that we should all share our thoughts freely. I also liked his point that sharing it on the internet is instant, where as if you wrote it out and put it onto a disk that it could take up to two years to publish.

I really like that Itunes has an academic section. I think it's awesome that you can download lectures from your professors, if they upload them, and even world renound professors. I love educational apps. I wish that the University of South Alabama had an app for Iphones and Droids. Better yet, I wish that all of my classes had interactive apps!, Especially my online courses!

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies
The Chipper Series
EDM310 for Dummies
Chipper and Dr Strange

Comic of Procrastination Pile of Papers
EDM310 for dummies cover



I really liked "EDM310 for Dummies." I would definitely buy that book if they published it.   I really liked that "EDM310 for dummies" had title's, breaks, and background music. I think it would be a good idea to do a demonstrational video, maybe with a subject a lot of students seem to have a problem with. Someone could video tape the computer screen, while someone else performed the difficult task on the computer. This way, students could watch the example step-by-step. The Chipper series was not as much my style. It was not the acting nor the content which was not my taste, it just seemed slightly repetitive. I think it would be a great video with some editing effects, like title breaks, photos, or background music. I really did enjoy the content though.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
Click here to watch!

First off, can I just say that I find it outrageous and appauling that out of 55 industries the U.S. Department of Commerce ranked Education number 55 (the lowest!) for I.T. intensiveness, even below coal mining! I was blown away by that opening statement. Wow! I agree that students are learning more about technology and using technology for research when out of the classroom, by far, when compared to most classrooms. I do not think that technology should be banned from the classroom.

I loved when someone said that is also about forming relationships, sense of community, and outreaching with the world. It truly is. I love reading my comments for kids. Even when I'm not quite sure what to say back to them because they are younger and the blogs are short, I still love reading them. I feel like I am connected to them in a way. I really loved one blog I read about a student named Rocky. I loved that he had posted pictures of himself and his classmates playing outside. Not only did I get a small glimpse of a foreign country (and the AMAZING weather), but I also felt like I knew him.

One woman said its about providing the best teachers no matter where a student lives. I thought this was a great idea and a great concept. Why not teach children in third world country's, or other poor areas which may not be able to afford a good educational system, via internet. Video conferencing is a great way that students could have a teacher, although digital, in the classroom to teach them and answer questions. I would love to be able to participate in something like that one day.

Finally, I really like the closing statement "it's death of education, but the dawn of learning."


The Secret Powers of time by Phillip Zombardo and Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by David Pink

The Secret Powers of Time 
The secret powers of time covers many things. One topic is the idea of time. How do we define time? in portions or through duration? How we measure time all depends on our moods and how we are feeling at that time.

It also talked about the different types of people. People who are past oriented either focus on triumphs and achievements from the past or they focus on the failures and regrets from their past. Then their are people who are present hedonistic. These people are only concerned with what they want right then to gain pleasure and avoid pain. Finally there are people who are future oriented. These people focus on the long term goals and rewards. They take consequences into consideration when making a decision.

Religion also plays a role in whether a person is past or future oriented. Protestants are more future oriented. Catholics tend to be past oriented. Location and financial status also impact whether a person is past, present, or future. Most people are future oriented.

The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us

The truth about what motivates us was so interesting. I never would have thought the higher the reward the worse the results, when referencing complex and cognitive tasks. I loved that the company in Australia has one day a month which allows the employees to work on whatever they want, however they want, with whomever they want. People want to be creative and show off their ideas. I think it is a great strategy for not only the work place, but the classroom.

I found it interesting that most people said that if they had 8 days a week, they would get more work done. I know what I'd do if I had an extra day a week, SLEEP!

P.S. I loved RSAnimate!! I thought it was really cool! It was really interesting, creative, and helped to hold my attention.

2 comments:

  1. AnnMerritt,

    I also believe teachers should share their thoughts and findings with one another, and the internet definitely makes this a lot easier. I love SmartExchange because you can find lesson plans and other ideas that you simply download, and you can also create your own and share them with other teachers. There are many websites that allow this, and I love that teachers are collaborating and helping one another. Technology is changing our world, and we must accept and embrace this change. It blows me away by some of the statistics and things that people value and find important, but as teachers, we must prepare our students for the future and help them succeed in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job and made alot of good points. You were very thorough in the summary. The pictures and the over all presentation of your blog post was very well done

    ReplyDelete